Welcome to Float Hinsdale
With European hydrotherapy, formerly called hydropathy or “water cure,” inspiration in mind, this float studio was uniquely designed for your healing pleasure, better living and a healthier you using thermal medicine for therapeutic effects. Let floating help you find balance for your mind and body.
First Time FloatNew customers — use code firstfloat at checkout to get your first float for $70!
10 Pack Float
Relax Your Mind and Body
We’ve created an environment that takes floating to the next level. Float Hinsdale offers an experience that deepens optimal relaxation, renews peacefulness, and restores well-being. By taking advantage of the physical properties of water, such as temperature and pressure, blood circulation is improved and many health ailments are addressed.
Oxygenate and Detoxify Your Body
Strengthen Your Immune System
Alleviate Stress and Anxiety
Answering your most asked questions so you can be prepared.
Benefits of Float
What effects does floating have on the mind?
During a float, you produce slower brainwave patterns, known as theta waves, which are normally experienced only during deep meditation or just before falling asleep. This is usually accompanied by vivid imagery, very clear, creative thoughts, sudden insights and inspirations or feelings of profound peace and joy, induced by the release of endorphins, the body’s natural opiates.
What effects does floating have on the body?
In the gravity-free environment, the body balances and heals internally as all the senses are rested. Research shows that floating measurably reduces blood pressure and heart rate while lowering the levels of stress-related chemicals in the body. Old injuries and aches, especially back pain, experience relief as floating helps with blood circulation.
Unwinding in 1,000 pounds of saltwater keeps your body buoyant, taking the pressure off your muscles and joints.
While floating, your body enters a high state of physical relaxation. This hydrotherapy is designed to:
- promote calmness and tranquility
- eliminate fatigue
- improve sleep
- alleviate stress and anxiety
- energize, rejuvenate, and revitalize your mind and body
What is Magnesium Sulfate?
Magnesium Sulfate is a mineral, which has been shown to help detoxify the body, strengthen the immune system, trigger the release of endorphins and provide relief from physical, mental, and emotional stress and fatigue.
How is water hygiene maintained?
The saltwater is filtered a minimum of three times between each float cycling 99.9% of the water through our filtration system. The solution passes through a micron filter, UV light chamber and an Ozonator for an optimal, chemical-free, antimicrobial effect.
Preparing for Your Float
What should I do to prepare for my float?
- Consider a light meal approximately 60- 90 minutes prior to your appointment
- Drink plenty of water so you are sufficiently hydrated before floating
- Avoiding alcohol and stimulants is recommended
- We recommend not shaving or waxing 8 hours prior to your float as the salt water might sting
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to your first float appointment to allow time for your orientation
What should I expect?
When you arrive for your float, you will be taken to the vanity area for changing.
Our float studio is private and spacious, containing 1,000 pounds of pure Epsom salt that has been dissolved in a few feet of water. This solution is so dense that when you lie back you float effortlessly.
You can control the lighting and music in the pool, if desired, or you can simply float in silence.
You can float with your arms at your side – palm ups or palms down – with your arms folded across your chest or belly, with your hands behind your head, or with your arms up in what we call “goal post position.” There is also a pillow designed specifically for the float environment that you can use if you need a little extra support behind your head.
After 60 minutes there will be a notification when your time is up.
You then carefully exit the float pool and take a post-float rinse. This shower can be as hot as you like, and you can spend up to 15 minutes in the vanity room before exiting so our team can sanitize and prepare for the next guest.
It’s beneficial to hydrate after a float. We provide you with a post-float ozonated water.
What about my hair?
- If you receive hair color/highlights, we recommend waiting to float until one week after your coloring
- Floating may reduce the longevity of keratin treatments and hair extensions
- You may bring a silicone swim cap to protect your hair
What should I bring?
- We have a changing area with a suit-dryer for you to change following your experience. You may want to bring a hairbrush and shower sandals for a quick rinse during your 15-minute vanity station timeframe.
- If you wear contact lenses, please bring a contact case and solution as we recommend removing contacts prior to floating.
- Towels and a post-float ozonated water will be provided.
When should I avoid floating?
We request that you do NOT float if you:
- Are under the influence of alcohol or other drugs
- Have gotten a tattoo in the last 4-6 weeks
- Have open or bleeding wounds
- Suffer from incontinence or uncontrolled epilepsy
Can I float if I am pregnant?
Pregnant women have used floating to relieve the stress on their bodies for decades. With the reduction of external stimuli, many pregnant women find floating helps them create a stronger bond with the unborn baby.
Should I workout before or after a float?
Working out before your float will allow your float to reduce muscle tension, neutralize the spine, and help the body recover more quickly.
During Your Float
What are some tips for having a great float?
- Put your earplugs in before you shower.
- Use Vaseline on any cuts.
- If you feel any neck tension, try using the float pillow.
- After you find a comfortable position, try to remain still. Many people report a blurring of the boundary between the skin and the water and air. However, each time you move, the salt might feel a little warm or a little cool in comparison. Once you remain still again, the temperature will re-regulate.
- Relax and let go of expectations. Floating is a highly personal experience. Some people fall asleep, others enter into a deep meditative state, some notice areas of tension and practice letting that tension go, others let their minds wander and daydream, and others simply enjoy the unique sensation of feeling weightless. Just remember that there is no wrong way to float and that, over time, your floating practice will grow and evolve.
- At the end of your float, sit up slowly and carefully push the salt water away from your face.
What if I am claustrophobic?
Our float studio is not a “bod-pod” nor an egg-like chamber. It is a specially designed, spacious room with 16’ ceilings, crafted with exposed brick, wooden beams, and industrial columns for an ancient experience. Inside these walls therapeutic healing for the body and mind awaits.
You can stand up or step out of the pool at any time. The lighting is optional and illuminates from the lofted, wooden beams. It is controlled from the inside, giving you total control of the intensity of the lights, if you choose any at all. Many prefer a “sensory deprivation” experience and keep the lights off. A darker atmosphere creates an amazing sensation as if you were floating in space rather than in a float room.
Can I drown if I fall asleep?
No. Some people fall asleep, but the water is so buoyant that you stay afloat.
Do I get dehydrated from soaking for so long?
No. Your skin doesn’t even prune up and it becomes silky soft afterward.
How long is the float session?
A float session is a full 60 minutes. Although you can get out earlier if you prefer, the 60-minutes usually goes faster than you would expect.
After Your Float
What happens after my float?
For the new floater, your first float primarily involves getting your body accustomed to the new environment. Try to take notice of how you feel shortly afterward and the days following your float. Most people experience a boost of energy, enhanced awareness, a deeper capacity to relax, and improved performance and creativity.
It is recommended to float three to five times to initially understand the process of flotation and begin to reap its long-term advantages. The benefits are cumulative, which explains why flotation devotees incorporate this therapy into their everyday lives.